Friday, July 8, 2016

Book Review: A Court of Mist and Fury


17927395

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Released: May 3rd, 2016
Read: June 2016
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Format: Hardcover, 640 pages
Seiries: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2

Description from Goodreads:
Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.
Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

Review:
I was lucky enough to be able to read this book right after the first one, and not have to wait a year as many other readers had to do. Can I just say that I am so glad I did? Reading the stories back to back really made you believe in the world. I'm sorry to say, but this book made me hate some of the characters I previously had loved. Like a LOT. No spoilers, but I did scream a little whenever they were mentioned... Unlike most sequels, this one managed to build on what the first created. It also managed to introduce new characters without it feeling forced. Among the new characters that I loved was Rhysand. Although he has a role towards the end of the end of the first novel, we really get to know him in this one. I'm really upset that I said no spoilers before, because I'd really like to spoil right now! But I'll restrain myself. Let's just say that Rhys is one of my favourite characters now, and probably will be yours too... Oh, and Feyre really develops into a heroine who doesn't need any men to conquer the world. I really love how she acts in the Night Court! Way different from the Spring Court. If you read my review for the first book, you'll recall that I wanted more exposure to the other courts. Well I got my wish in this book. From the courts that are visited (Spring, Night and Summer) we got to find out about the 'special powers' were for each court, as well as their fashions and palaces. This book kept twisting and winding, all I could do was keep reading. I really could not put this book down. That twist in the end was AMAZING! Completely took me by surprise. I was screaming out loud in class, and everyone was looking at me strangely! You would not believe the book-hangover I had after this one. Unbelievable. But I was so impressed with this one that I decided to start on Maass' other series, Throne of Glass. I thought this book was simply amazing, and I can't wait until book three!

Favourite Quote:
“I am broken and healing, but every piece of my heart belong to you.” 

― Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Mist and Fury

Rating:
9/10 Stars

Recommended for people who enjoy: high fantasy, romance, strong female leads, adventure

Note: This novel really is for MATURE readers only. Some scenes are inappropriate for young readers. So be careful who you recommend this to.

Happy Reading,
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment